Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Marley & Me and Me

So at some point over the next week or two, I will most likely visit a theater with my mom to watch Marley and Me. I know, I know, it might be a touch oversweet. And it has McSteamy in it, for some reason. But I think it could be fun, and I like Owen Wilson.

Plus, sometimes watching something with someone who loves it is as much fun as watching something you yourself love; and my mom likes sweetness in movies and books. Likewise, she lurves slapstick comedy, and while it doesn't do much for me, watching a pratfall-riddled flick with her is a pretty good time. That's why Just Friends is a holiday favorite for me, my mom, and my brother. Ryan Reynolds' sarcasm (and hotness) for me, people getting hurt for my mom. And Anna Faris's hilarious farcical pop star for everyone.

Anyway, John Grogan, the author of the monstrously popular Marley and Me book, has a new memoir out. The Longest Trip Home is about growing up in the tumultuous '60s and '70s under his parents' very Catholic tutelage. Could be interesting if you're curious about other people's growing-up years and religious formation. Here's an interview for your reading pleasure.

Merry Christmas, everyone! Hope your holiday break is full of all your favorites--and a little time for quiet as well.

No comments: