Thursday, December 18, 2008

"They're rippin' me off!"

Well, Coldplay, I don't know what to say. You seem like swell guys, and you're a legitimately popular band. But apparently you've gone and copped to ripping off Jeff Buckley in "Shiver," and it's not the first time you've been accused of musical plagiarism.

I don't even know what Buckley song "Shiver" rips off. That "loouuuud and cleeeeear" part does sound Buckley-esque, but I can't place the exact song. Does anybody out there recognize it?

The thing is, this doesn't really ruin Coldplay for me, because I've never been one of their biggest fans. Sure, they've got some good hooks, and I always like a few songs on any Coldplay album. But I feel that they've gained such a firm foothold into pop music partly because they know how to manufacture certain emotions. (Exhibit A: Look at the stars, look how they shine for you.) And that's fine--I just think we should call it what it is and not pretend that these guys are rock and roll saviors.

Of course, having Brian Eno produce their last album was a credibility feather in their cap. But if they keep putting out songs with suspicious relationships to songs by other artists, that credibility might be hard to hold on to.

No comments: